Recharge by powering down with Phoenix Public Library!
From sundown on March 1 to sundown on March 2, enjoy 24 hours disconnected from all forms of electronic media and connect with the real people and places in your life by participating in the National Day of Unplugging!
Need some ideas on what to do with that free time from your electronic devices? Here are the library's top five picks:
- Explore one of our 17 library locations with the kids. For younger children, we offer First Five Years spaces. Designed to amaze and amuse, these spaces support early literacy through the development of motor skills and healthy brain function. For older children, we offer a rich selection of books by favorite authors and nonfiction books on topics ranging from spiders and snakes to the solar system. Read one together!
- Visit a museum or cultural institution in our community. With a Culture Pass, you and a friend can visit one of 12 museums including the Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix Zoo, Arizona Science Center, Pueblo Grande Museum, Children's Museum of Phoenix, and the Desert Botanical Garden. Plan ahead and check Culture Pass availability before you unplug.
- Tour Burton Barr Central Library, 1221 N. Central Ave., and learn about its amazing architecture and fabulous art collection. The library offers free tours every Saturday at 11 a.m. Can you find the eyes gazing out at you from "Frank's Fantasy Forest" by Ray Fink? What geologic formation inspired architect Will Bruder's design?
- Listen to poetry at South Mountain Community Library, 7050 S. 24th St. Speakers set in acoustic chairs in the plaza adjacent to the library play recordings of poetry curated by Arizona poet Alberto Rios. Among the poems is "Baseline Blooms," a collaborative community poem compiled by Rios and featuring the contributions of more than 30 community members of all ages.
- Read a book, magazine, or newspaper. Yes, the library still offers the kind printed on paper. Discover a new author, find an interesting recipe in a culinary magazine to make later, or catch up on all the news from Kingman, San Diego or Wall Street.
Take the pledge!
Join us and take the pledge for this year's National Day of Unplugging by printing out a pledge sign, filling in what you hope to accomplish by unplugging and have someone snap a photo of you holding up your sign. Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your pledge featured on Phoenix Public Library's Facebook page.
Phoenix Public Library's Facebook and Twitter communications will be suspended for 24 hours in honor of the National Day of Unplugging, so please submit your photos by Thursday, February 28, 2013.
Enjoy your day of relaxing, reflecting, unwinding and reconnecting with yourself and loved ones!
For more information on the history of the National Day of Unplugging, visit the official website here.