The Toybrary at the Burton Barr Central Library is a free toy-lending service for parents or professionals who assist children with disabilities. These toys:
- Teach cause and effect relationships.
- Enhance motor, perceptual and learning development.
- Stimulate and increase awareness.
- Provide the child with the first opportunity to control some part of his/her environment.
Registration is required to use the Toybrary. Appointments are encouraged by calling 602-262-4636 at least one day in advance (TTY 602-254-8205). Drop-in appointments are also available by inquiring at the First Floor Information Desk.
Borrowers may select toys at the Accessibility Center or place a hold on the requested toys by accessing the Phoenix Public Library online catalog. The most efficient way to search for Toybrary items in the catalog is:
- From the home page, select "title" or "call number" and enter the term "toy" in the search box. Click Search.
- When your results appear, click on the Format "Toy" that appears on the left side of the page, under the "Narrow your Search" banner. The results list should be exclusively toys.
The toys may be sent to any Phoenix Public Library Branch for pickup and also returned to any Branch location.
Toybrary Lending Rules
- Qualified borrowers are parents or professionals that assist children with disabilities.
- The borrower must have a Phoenix Public Library card.
- Toys are borrowed for a six-week period. Three toys and, if needed, one adaptor switch, may be borrowed at a time.
- Late fee of five cents per day for each overdue item.
- Toys may be renewed in person, online, or by calling 602-534-6666 on a touch tone phone.