Need some ideas on what to do with all that time free from your electronic devices? Here are the library's top five picks:
1. Explore one of our 17 library locations with the kids. For younger children, we offer First Five Years spaces. Designed to amaze and amuse, these spaces support early literacy through the development of motor skills and healthy brain function. For older children, we offer a rich selection of books by favorite authors and nonfiction books on topics ranging from spiders and snakes to the solar system. Read one together.
2. Visit a museum or cultural institution in our community. With a Culture Pass, you and a friend can visit one of 12 museums including the Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix Zoo, Arizona Science Center, Pueblo Grande Museum, Children's Museum of Phoenix and the Desert Botanical Garden. Plan ahead and check Culture Pass availability on phoenixpubliclibrary.org before you unplug.
3. Tour Burton Barr Central Library, 1221 N. Central Ave., and learn about its amazing architecture and fabulous art collection. The library offers free tours every Saturday at 11 a.m. Can you find the eyes gazing out at you from "Frank's Fantasy Forest" by Ray Fink? What geological formation inspired architect Will Bruder's design?
4. Listen to poetry at South Mountain Community Library, 7050 S. 24th St. Speakers set in acoustic chairs in the plaza adjacent to the library play recordings of poetry curated by Arizona poet Alberto Rios. Among the poems is "Baseline Blooms," a collaborative community poem compiled by Rios and featuring the contributions of more than 30 community members of all ages.
5. Read a book, magazine or newspaper. Yes, the library still offers the kind printed on paper. Discover a new author, find an interesting recipe in a culinary magazine to make later, or catch up on all the news from Kingman, San Diego or Wall Street.
The National Day of Unplugging is a 24-hour period, beginning at sunset on the first Friday in March and offering an opportunity to unwind, unplug, relax, reflect, get outdoors, and connect with loved ones. For more information on the day and its history, visit nationaldayofunplugging.com .
Phoenix Public Library is a system of 16 branch libraries and the Burton Barr Central Library. Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/phxlibrary and "like" us on Facebook at facebook.com/phoenixpubliclibrary.